1.24.2013

Exploring

So much has changed for me recently.
I merged my company and partnered with Amber.  Stemming from that merge, we traveled to Haiti in December.  Lots of inspiration comes from our trips together.  We are heart broken, moved, simplified, burdened, inspired, stronger and the list goes on.  I highly recommend all business partners travel to a third world country together, it will make or break you.
Fortunately, it's making us.
Our business is just getting going and we're laying all the groundwork.  But we are strong in our connection and have our priorities straight.
For example, I made a mistake on my end business wise and it costs us more than expected.  I explained to her what had happened and apologized.  Her response: It's okay, it was an honest mistake, it's done, let's move on.
Wha?
I'm so thankful.

We also traveled to Seattle a couple of weeks ago and took part in a "Restart your Business" with the infamous photographer and business guru, Jasmine Star.  It was a full day of intense dissecting your business.  It was such a honor to be there.  We came away with our heads swarming with changes and ideas. Our work was cut out for us!
One MAIN thing I personally learned there, was be vulnerable, be real.  That applies to this here blog.  Before when I blogged, I felt I couldn't have a post without some theme, or tutorial, or big revelation, I honestly felt like I couldn't blog unless it was perfect.  Pictures in tact and lined up, links properly placed, wording all fancy.  Well that's not being vulnerable and real is it?


I saw on good 'ol Pinterst the idea of writing down a couple sentences about my day, every day, for a year.  They had it in a box on index cards.
 I loved this idea, but as cute as it looked, I knew that I wouldn't be able to do that, knowing I wasn't going to lug that thing when I was away from home.  So I mentioned this to a friend of mine, Cindy, and she had already done it for the entire past year!  However, she showed me a INGENIOUS way to do it!  Download the Blogger app onto your phone! Yup, there's an app for that.
EUREKA.  So I did and now I have it with me where ever I go AND I can attach pictures to it!
I am happy to report that I have stuck with for 24 days now!  Somedays I have one line, others paragraphs.  It's made me take more snapshots and document.  This has allowed me to reflect on my day and relive those funny moments with my kids.  I sometimes include how I felt or certain prayers that I have on that particular day.  I can't wait to re-read them in a year or ten year's time.

Back to Seattle.  This "Restart your Business" course wasn't just one day, it's 3 months!  3 days of workshops and the rest putting it all into practice.  We have running assignments that we work on daily.  Blogging more and themes for shooting.  We are to take photos of things that appeal to us in regards to our business.  Colors, items, textures, etc.  Another assignment, come up with 3 words that tell what your business is about. Sum it up.
Sounds easy right?  Nope.
Try it.

So needless to say, there's been a whole lot of exploring going on, personally and business.  It's draining, I'll be honest, but I've never felt more alive creatively.

When we started our business, Amber was to handle the social media side, the blogging.  She was cool with that as was I.  However, after our Seattle session, I felt urged to take more part in that. We are looking to be more transparent and candid in our blogging.  So I took on "Joy on Tuesdays".  This has forced me to explore and have a voice about our business, my perspective if you will.

Our blog has turned interesting.  To me at least.  Check us out, follow us, watch us as we grow and "Restart".  We'll be candid.  We'll be real.
http://joyandamber.com/blog/

So with all this exploring, blogging, dissecting, thinking, documenting.......you may see some activity on this here stale blog.  :-)

-joy

No comments:

Post a Comment